PROGRAM/CIP CODE: MTSC.AAS/12.0301
CREDITS REQUIRED: 62
DIVISION: Health Professions
ACCREDITATION:The Mortuary Science Degree program at Kansas City Kansas Community College is accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE), 992 Mantua Pike, Suite 108. Woodbury Heights, NJ 08097 (816) 233-3747. Web: www.abfse.org.
Provide excellence in funeral service education that prepares graduates to pass the National Board Examination and to deliver quality funeral, cremation, and memorial services with professionalism, integrity, and compassion.
Program Learning Outcome
- Explain the importance of funeral service professionals in developing relationships with the families and communities they serve.
- Identify standards of ethical conduct in funeral service practice.
- Interpret how federal, state, and local laws apply to funeral service to ensure compliance.
- Apply principals of public health and safety in the handling and preparation of human remains.
- Demonstrate technical skills in embalming and restorative art that are necessary for the preparation and handling of human remains.
- Demonstrate skills required for conducting arrangements, conferences, visitations, services, and ceremonies.
- Describe the requirements and procedures for burial, cremation, and other accepted forms of final disposition of human remains.
- Describe methods to address the grief-related needs of the bereaved.
- Explain management skills associated with operating a funeral establishment.
- Demonstrate verbal and written communication skills and research skills needed for funeral service practice.
National Board Examination pass rates, graduation rates, and employment rates for this and other ABFSE-accredited programs are available at www.abfse.org in the Directory of Accredited Programs.